RoughlyDrafted got hold of a document which mentions that the BigBlue is running an internal pilot project for letting their employees use macs instead of Windows/Thinkpads. Ofcourse, its a lot easier now since IBM doesn’t officially make thinkpads anymore.
Apparently the results of their survey are quite interesting and even though a lot of the software the employees run doesn’t work on Mac OS X, most of the employees surveyed still chose to keep their macs instead of the getting back to the thinkpads.
Reasons why the IT dept. at IBM decided to run this pilot:
- Alternative to Microsoft Windows
- Less prone to security issues
- Widely used in the academic world with which Research has close ties
- Many new hires are more comfortable with the Mac and lately asking for it
- Growing Mac community in Research and within IBM that finds the development environment on Mac more convenient
- Growing acceptance of the Mac as a consumer and business oriented client platform
- WPLC strategy includes significant investments in achieving the Mac platform parity